60 Self Care Ideas for At Home Stress Relief
Self-care is not only about the one off moments that you get to take care of your self, it is more of a daily practice. Not a practice of luxury bubble baths, but rather asking yourself each day, “what do I need right now?” and then following through. Here are some self care ideas that can help relieve stress while you’re stuck at home.
Self care is the act of honoring your needs, but sometimes it takes a bit of practice to know what your needs are. Try asking yourself:
- What is my body asking for right now?
- Is my mental health needing anything?
- How can I support my emotions right now?
- Is my spirit/soul craving anything?
Sometimes, our body is asking us to get moving, to do some yoga or go for a run. Other times, our body is asking for us to slow down and sleep a bit more.
Is our mind requiring more stimulation? Such as, learning a new skill or exploring who we are. Or is your mind wanting a break and an evening of mindless reality TV?
Are you needing to sit quietly with your emotions? Scrub the house as a way to release them? Or call a friend and cry?
Your needs are constantly changing each day. Self care is simply tuning into those needs.
Self Care at Home
One of the big ways we can care ourselves at home is by caring for our space and our belongings. Keeping your home clean and de-cluttered can drastically alter your energy and day.
Have you ever noticed your energy level when your space is really messy? It’s usually a reflection of how you’re feeling internally. Even if all you have time for is to make your bed for the day, you will feel a sense of accomplishment.
Just because you’re not leaving the house doesn’t mean you can’t take care of yourself physically. It can actually be pretty fun to do it for yourself!
Taking care of your self image – if this means dressing nicely for work even if you work from home. You can get all dolled up if you want. Letting go of feeling vain and accepting the little things that can make you feel pretty. Do this in a way that makes you feel good! (Not out of obligation.)
You can practice self care with a powerful visualization practice each day. When showering, imagine that as the water is running down over you it is a white cleansing light erasing your day and old energy.
60 Self Care Ideas
Remember, these are just ideas. The way it becomes Self Care is when you ask yourself what you need and pick something that fulfills that need (even when it’s doing absolutely nothing).
- Cook a special or new meal
- Watch your favorite movie as a kid
- Create a Pinterest vision board
- Do a guided meditation
- Watch an entire series on Netflix
- Call a loved one or friend
- Write a letter to your future self
- Play a video or computer game
- Do a word puzzle or Sudoku
- Play with a pet
- Do a DIY face mask
- Learn a new skill on YouTube
- Lay in bed all morning
- Write down your own affirmations
- Make a fancy drink or cocktail
- Do an at-home workout
- Try a breathing exercise
- Watch a webinar or virtual workshop
- Practice a walking meditation
- Draw or color something
- Watch silly videos on YouTube
- Connect in a Facebook group
- Spend 10 minutes giving compliments on Insta
- Give yourself a foot massage
- Call an older relative and get curious about their lives
- Read a book
- Practice your creative writing: poetry, short stories, etc.
- Explore exotic massage on yourself ?
- Clean out your wardrobe
- Write in your journal
- Take a long nap
- Unfollow accounts you don’t vibe with
- Sing and dance to your favorite songs (bonus: grab a hairbrush)
- Write and send a thank you card
- Make lists: what makes you happy? Favorite things to do? Etc.
- Play games with friend on Zoom (like HeadsUp)
- Listen to a new podcast
- Clear out your email inbox
- Get dressed up for no reason
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Spend a few minutes in mindfulness
- Make a dessert and enjoy it
- Make a list of things you’re grateful for
- Order in food and do nothing all evening
- Sit in the sun (yay, vitamin D)
- Write yourself a nice message on the mirror
- Try a new craft
- Explore who you are
- Do a gentle/slow yoga class
- Say “no” to something
- Practice forgiveness
- Pull together a compliment stash
- Re-arrange something in your home
- Take some fun selfies
- Write a love letter to yourself
- Pull tarot or oracle cards
- Do something you enjoyed as a kid
- Do an online museum tour
- Add scent: candles, incense, essential oils
- Create a texting support group
- Do whatever the hell you want
Remember, nothing on this list is right or wrong. Bubble baths might be one of my favorite things, but my partner can’t stand them.
Likewise, getting in a heavy workout might feel really good today, but tomorrow your body could be begging you to sleep in and do nothing. Remember, the self care practice is actually just asking yourself want you’re needing and giving that to yourself, guilt free.
Practice kindness towards yourself by not judging whatever your needs are. As long as you’re listening to your needs, you have permission to do whatever the hell you want. Honor that.
What’s your favorite version of self care?